So we have released one of the biggest updates Potterworld has ever seen to date this last weekend and I wanted to give you guys an update as to what tweaks and changes we have made since then as we continue to balance and polish the new gameplay.
Firstly, I want to say thank you so much for being patient as we iron out all the rough edges. You guys are our best play testers and we are super grateful for all the bug reports and the suggestions that you have all made to help us fix things moving forward!
As it says in the name, this is the "Exploration" update, as I see it as a new page to try out some new ideas that we have been working on for a long time. Things like the professions, the change to experience versus ACs, etc! As time goes by we will be adding more and more "quality of life" updates to make the gameplay easier for you guys to understand and use! But first, I want to note the changes to gaining experience through Professions and Mobs.
1. Profession Crafting Experience:
• We found that with the formulas we were using for experience levels players could just purely craft the level 1 potions and it would be the fastest way to level to max level. This essentially bypassed the entire way we wanted players to have to level as they crafted recipes for the various professions.
• To adjust for this, we rebalanced the experience formula and also introduced a Experience Reduction Method that basically works like this: For every level you are higher than a recipe you are trying to craft, the percent of experience given is reduced by 20%.
• So that means after being over 5 Profession levels higher than a recipe you are trying to craft, it reduces the experience gained down to 0. This will adjust things so you have to keep current with the recipes you decide to craft in order to keep learning and gaining experience!
• The real life explanation, and why we chose to do it this way, is because in real life once you master a skill (be it learning to ride a bike, cook something, etc) you cease to learn from it because you already mastered it, you no longer grow more from doing that one activity. But the second you start trying to do something you have never done before... then you start to learn and grow as you make mistakes and overcome new obstacles! So basically, I took this and applied it to our professions!
2. Mob Experience:
We've also added a Experience Reduction Method for defeating mobs but it isn't the same one as the one used for professions. The way the mob experience works is:
• The mobs closest to your level and a handful of levels above you will reward the most amount of experience. The mobs above your level (for a few levels) will reward more experience than the mobs at your level - we did this so players that wanted to challenge themselves fighting harder mobs would benefit from it. However, after a certain amount of levels above the player's level, the mobs start to give less and less experience the higher up the mobs get. The reason why we decided to do this is because we didn't want player exploiting with friends by dragging a super high level mob with 1 health left to a level 1 player and just having the level one player get the last hit to gain a large experience boost. To account for this we added the drop off.
• For mobs lower than your level, there is a exponential percent drop off of earned experience the farther away from the player's level you get. For example, if you are level 35 and fight a level 35 mob, you will gain 100 percent of the intended experience at that level. But if you fight a level 30, 25, 20, and so forth, the experience starts to get reduced by a percent per level the mob is lower than you. The experience never drops to 0 but it becomes tiny amounts! This way you players should fight mobs around their level for optimal leveling time!
3. Quality of Life Additions:
• We are actively working on more additions to make profession, leveling, talents, and skills easier to understand and gauge. We are going to be adding in Experience Bars for each profession and leveling to make it easier to visibly see where you are at.
• We also are looking into how to make the passive buffs you get from potions, plants, and cooked foods a bit more visible so you can tell if a person has passive buffs one and look into ways to make it show how much time left on the buffs.
4. Minigames, Parkours, Droppers, and Vanilla Potion buffs/debuffs:
• As I'm sure you've all noticed, Minecraft potion effects like wither, fire, poison, and (not a potion effect but) fall damage don't scale with the amount of health we can currently attain. We will be looking into fixing this in the future. We'll be overriding the vanilla effects and writing our own in a way in which these elements will work. Look for this in the future!
• Droppers: as fall damage is barely a thing right now we have disabled these until the fix above is in!
• Parkours: You can still do parkours but we have added in a fix to remove any passive buffs on yourself before you enter the parkour arenas and also block the effects of profession items. However, do not fear, the second you leave the parkour arenas the potions will eventually reapply themselves back onto you!
• Minigames: These should be unaffected by the issues above as we control those with a different method. We might even look into just moving the above two types of gameplay into /minigames as well to gain the same amount of control
5. More Updates to Come!
• As I'm sure you have seen, we have another profession coming soon. That's right! Magical Creature Care! We are actively working on new tech for this as we want it to function a bit different than the other professions! We have not decided on whether this is a profession you have to choose mastery in or that everyone can do like Herbology.
• Marketplace: we are aware there are some issues with the current marketplace so we are revamping it. Danny, our fabulous developer will be looking into improving this system very soon!
• Lacerum, and other spells that have been removed from the normal leveling experience will be attainable again in the future, worry not! We will be making unique ways of obtaining these other spells for those that currently don't have them! Look out for those in the future!
• Extra Profession Recipes: We are also making new potions, plants, and foods that will be outside of the currently profession system that you can earn, some of these will be more cosmetic, and some will have unique effects! They can also be used to help you level your professions up! Each recipe will have a level, so you will still need to be that profession level to learn and use them!
Right, so there is still much to do! Again, thank you all for your patience and your constructive feedback for this new update to Potterworld! I wanted to address one last thing that I know many of you are concerned about. In the originaly Q&A about the Phoenix update, there was some talk about Player Reset. I want to make it clear with how everything is panning out the Phoenix Update will alter a bit in terms of what it will be. Some ideas like the Tree Talent system have been changed into what our current talent system is. We altered and changed as we felt best. But just to be clear. There will be NO player reset! No one will lose anything, not gold, not spells, nothing! We feel it best to allow you guys to continue your journey just as you are! We want to thank you all for playing on Potterworld. We love you guys!
MiraMooseAcademics LeMid GDArena MasterWiki Team posted Wed at 10:06
June 2018 Tournaments
The flying tournament started on June 12th at 12 pm PST and will run until June 15th at 12 pm PST. If you would like to participate you can join the Flying game in the /games menu. Winning this game will earn you one point and will contribute to your score in the tournament.
Due to the new update, there will be no dueling tournament this month and it will be replaced with a spell wars tournament. This tournament will start on June 16th at 12pm PST and will end on June 19th at 12pm PST. If you would like to participate you can join the spell wars game in the /games menu. Winning this game will earn you one point and will contribute to your score in the tournament.
The prizes for both of these tournaments are listed below:
• 100 House Points • A particle effect of your color choice • A wand appearance of your choice (no staffs) • 200 Gold
• 50 House Points • A wand appearance of your choice (no staffs) • 100 Gold
• 20 House Points • A particle effect of your color choice • 50 Gold
SamuelTMWizencouncilMid GDArithmancerSMP posted Jun 9, 18
The Exploration Update is finally here! When we announced the future of Potterworld almost a year ago, we knew that this would be a big change and taking time to do it properly was something of great importance to us. With this update we bring a new levelling system including upgrading your player with stats, the professions system that allows you to find your true calling in our wizarding world, a talents system to customize yourself to how you want to play, and a completely new wilderness area with new towns and mobs. All of which you can read more about below and in their introduction threads.
To aid you in your wizarding journey, we have also added a profile function which is accesible through /me and shift + left click. In /me you can access:
Professions - This menu will open up all of your profession stats and recipes! Daily Activities - This GUI will show you all of the daily activities you can choose from! Stats - This menu will show you all of your magic, health, and power statistics! Pets - This GUI will allow you to summon your magical pet! Hats - This menu will allow you to view and select from a variety of hats available on our store at potterworldmc.com! Wands - This menu will allow you to select and view all of your purchased wands! Prefix - This GUI allows you to change your chat prefix! Housing - Clicking this option will open up a GUI with all of your housing options! Player Tag - Clicking on this option will allow you to change the color of your name in tab and above your head! Learn More - This will open up a GUI with many different help options for the new Exploration Update! FAQ - This menu will show Potterworld’s most frequently asked questions!
We are extremely excited for everything that is in store for the summer and what the future will hold for Potterworld. We hope you enjoy this update as much as we enjoyed creating it! In the leveling system, you will get xp to level up, going from Level 1 to Level 80. Each level, you will earn a spell and 3 Stat Points. These Stat Points can be spent upgrading your health, magic and power, each capping at Level 100. There are many different ways to earn XP. These include attending classes, fighting mobs, doing Professions, doing dungeons, completing Daily Activities, doing quests, voting and more. To view more information about the leveling system, click here.
Professions is a system of “jobs” to help you on your Potterworld journey. You may choose from three different professions, all with unique benefits and traits. Each profession goes up to level 35, with new things being unlocked each level. The three current professions are Cooking, Potions and Herbology. You are able to do Herbology no matter what, but Cooking and Potions will be limited to the first five levels unless you dedicate yourself to one of them, locking yourself out of the other. Potions is mainly based around buffs to your magical abilities, while Cooking is mainly based around player buffs and Saturation, as well as elemental buffs. Herbology has two separate parts to it. These are plants and herbs. Every level, you will unlock a plant and any number of herbs. The plants are effects similar to spells. The herbs will be used to craft the unbrewed and uncooked forms of potions and foods. Herbs and plants will both be grown from seeds found in resource nodes around the Wilderness. In order to progress in Professions at all, you will need to find resource nodes around the Wilderness, as well as kill mobs around the server. More information on the Wilderness can be found below.
To view more information about professions, click here.
The Talent System is a system of customizing your combat strengths and weaknesses. This system is based around Talent Points, which are unlocked every 10 levels and at level 3. There are three schools which you can put your points into. These are Medicinal Magic (Healing), Defensive Arts (Defense) and Curses, Hexes and Jinxes (Attack). By the end of your journey, you will have a total of 9 Talent Points, meaning you can completely master one tree your pick and choose from all of them. To view more information of our talents system, click here! The Wilderness has gotten a heavy revamp with the Exploration Update. Mobs are updated, builds are added and, most importantly, five towns have appeared on the map. In each of the five towns are some new features to help you in your journey. Also in the Wilderness are a whole slew of hot spots where mobs spawn. The locations for all of these places can be found in the mobs section of the codex. The last thing that has changed about the Wilderness is how to get there. Gone are the days of walking all the way to a strange hole in the Hogsworth wall to get to the Wilderness. Now, there is simply a boat at the Boat House that will take you there! Each town will contain the following resources:
-Newseller -Marketplace Access -Collector Wizard (Where you can sell materials) -Respawn Points -Codex Libraries (Where you can view mob/material locations) -Warpkey Sellers
More information about the towns' lore will be released soon!
This update would not have been possible without the support and hard work of multiple people. First I’d like to thank the Potterworld Community, without you guys none of this would’ve been possible. I’d also like to thank each and every staff member for working so hard to make Potterworld what it is. My last and biggest thank you goes to the extremely dedicated and hardworking members of the game design/development team who spent many late nights working on this, contributed their amazing ideas, and brought this update alive. Specifically; Droobledore (Lead) - Development of the Professions System, Magic Design, Lead Building Dannyy94 (Lead) - Development Sam (Lead) - Development of the Professions System, Concept Design, Quest Design, Lore, Implementation, Quest Building, Management PaulTM (Supervisor) - Development of the Professions System, Implemenation, Concept Design, Quest Building, Quest Design DenizTM - Mob Creation, Quest Building FliiiPENDO - Magic Design SysterTM - Quality Assurance Krisstina - Implemenation, Lore, and Concept Design AnyaTheChicken - Implementation, Lore, and Concept Design Advanced_Yoshi - Implementation, Quest Design Quazymoodo - Lead Wilderness Project Build Team - Wilderness Building Abstract_Magic - Mob Creation, Development Assistance Ellie - Quest Design, Lore EnderTheChicken_ - Implementation WyntreTM - Implementation, Quest Building, Lore Whimsicality - Quest Design, Implementation TedddyBear - Implementation Inv3rt3d - Quest Building HeyLookBunnies - Quest Building ChocChill - Quest Building Macutie - Lore, Implementation Shijun - Lore, Implementation Sunnya - Lore, Implementation Basilisks - Lore, Implementation Emily - Lore, Implementation, Management Jessica - Management To view a full album of contributors, click here. To see a full list of changes made, click here.